Tuesday, September 29, 2009



In the weeks prior to school I spent a good amount of time talking to different people about the challenges of College. The expectations, the Community Struggles, the Commitment of Time and Energy. In all the advice and encouragement I did receive, there was but one thing that made me stop and question... It was a comment made by my SM on the danger of self-help books and study habit tips. As I understood it, there was a tremendous chance that I would not succeed at planning deadlines and fixing events. And now, I know he was right! The first few assignments for classes were but childes play, but what I found was because they were so simple I could not keep them in track.

Twice, Yesterday and Today, I have been furiously writing and sketching over my dinner because my class was in 15 minutes! Simple things too! Like writing a letter to ones self or copying definitions from the book! It was with anger and guilt that I walked into class, knowing I was late because of a simple yet aggravating assignment!!! (AHH... DEEP BREATH, Let it out...)

I walked back from class with Jimmy, a transfer student, and we talked about this issue I have. He didn't have much to say but he assured me it was just something people get over...

I got home and though about something I read from Cec Chafin last week; "Plan everything, time slot your study hours, schedule in for activities..." At the time it seemed extreme but after today I am beginning to realize that College is something way more then the Human Mind can handle. We can get by when our teachers tell us to do this now, that later, but what happens when you add Friends, Family, Work, Relationships both present and past, Clubs, Activities, Basic house hold duties, Dumpster diving, Bible studies, Community Elections, and all sorts of crazy everyday living nessesities! I had no idea life could be so complicated and circus like...

Here is what I'd like you to take away from this post:
0)Plan out every detail to the minute! "Life offers so much opportunity, its up to us to remember where to find it."
1) "I've come a long way since being SPL in scouts and worrying about Friday meetings..."
2) Technology today increases productivity and success ten folds then with out! Learn to Use it! Dont let it use you!*
3) "Dont Work Hard, Work Smart" -R G Leoturneo (This means, study when your awake! And always give feedback when actively reading. Dont be a muffin head)
4) Practice Makes Perfect; You can read all you want about ProE but until you spend the next quarter millieleum down in the Lab..."*




*Ive seen so many kids playing iPhone games during class that I wonder why the teachers even allow phones!?

5 comments:

  1. With the cost of education at Cal Poly, I wonder why the parents even allow the kids to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay son, so it sounds like you are getting the idea that you have overloaded yourself with clubs, running for vice president of your community board, friends and outside fun, right? Every time I hear that you have added something new I feel sick to my stomach. EVen though you think classes are easy, there is just too much work to do in each of them. If you want to actually get something out of the homework, then you need to have time to do it thoughtfully - - not over dinner, rushed between bites.

    Please don't overdo your activities to the extent that you lose out of quality time for your school work.

    Love Mother

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing is that you have your address listed incorrectly. Go on your student account to addresses and you will see the proper way to address letters to your dorm!

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah the balance of organizing everything can be hard. One thing I do is check all of my syllabuses for the next day's classes right after dinner. I tell people that I will hang out with them after and only after those assignments are done. That way I'm not as likely to have something slip my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this post. College life can easily become a seemingly impossible network of demands and responsibilities. Good suggestions from mom and kendra. Definitely plan ahead -- I make a to-do list for the following day every evening. The college educational system assumes 2hrs studying for each classroom hour -- may be helpful to schedule that study time, THEN add the activities. Don't overcommit too early.

    As for phones in class (texting or games), as a former college instructor I would find it very difficult to teach well when students are paying attention to other things.

    ReplyDelete