Thursday, October 1, 2009

A TASTE OF KNOWLEDGE



Alright so although I have been busy I wanted to tell you a little something I learned about today.

"Always be proactive."
1) In listening to a professor: try to guess what hes going to say next. Listen Actively!
2) When your reading a book: Think about whats coming up and how it relates to the last page.
3) If your machining a part and fail to correctly measure... Try to adapt and find alternative solution.
This happened to me when we were turning diameters on the lathe. I miscalculated a cut and ended up with a part off by 0.110". (Eleven Hundredths) Since we were going to use a tap to thread this 1/2 diameter I had some issues... (For those non Mechanical types; .385" is alot smaller then .495", at least in reference to threads.) Anyway, the point is I successfully cut it down to .375, found a 3/8 tap, and finally presented it to the Professor. Frankly, he was so impressed he didn't even ask my to rewrite my calcuations after so much adjusting. I feel I made a good impression on Mr Hoaldey with my ingenious yet simple fix.

I recommend you as readers find similar experiences and practice this problem solving skills which I am finding are so necessary in life... not to mention school!




1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Jordan. Ingenuity is most helpful in this not so perfect world!

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete