Monday, October 19, 2009

Rain Day - Introducing a Job Fair

This year it rained. This year companies feigned. But this year, there was something I gained.


Day One: A total of 63 companies advertised here at the Cal Poly job fair! Out of the sixteen or so thousand students, only about 200 will have the opportunity to get a job or internship. Thats not a good chance. It reminds me of a day like today, when the rain comes down in torrents, the clouds darken the skies, and a chilling moisture reaches out to everything… leaving nothing dry or untouched. During the past two years little has improved for the job markets and especially for careers in manufacturing, when so many companies are moving there manufacturing plants overseas. Brian, a graduating senior had a ‘my glass is half empty’ mentality. His comments were short and distracted; “I might go back to farming,” he said. I understand the frustration and uncertainty for those in such a situation but I also know that we can make whatever we want of this world by doing whatever it takes. Tomorrow I look forward to showing my resume to companies and experiencing the interview process. Who knows, the darkest side of our world is always the next to get a beam of light, so why not expect a new beginning, a fresh start, an unknown opportunity!


Day Two: I returned with resume printed, suit ironed, and interviews rehearsed. My smile beamed as I strode into the job fair like a knight on a horse. All these employers were looking for ME, waiting for ME, they wanted to hire ME! I was so full of pride at where I was and the experiences I’ve had. Ah, Boeing, let me start there first! “You can do it”, I said to myself. Paper in hand I walked up and offered a hand out in confidence. Like a dream I state my name and my interest in airplanes and engineering. The conversation is general but then we hit on the topic of my private pilot's license. Oh, what excitement effused from this middle aged business manager. Her stories and words of advice went on and on… Finally, exchanging contact cards and moving on, I felt a new confidence and moved on to the next booth. "MHHMMmm, YUM, Dryers Ice Cream!" I exclaimed. “I had no idea you guys did manufacturing!. Only it was too late to take back my undignified and uneducated introduction. This time there seemed to be short answers for my inquires and I left feeling very foolish indeed.


AHHA! Solar Turbines, now here was a company with which I had knowledge and personal contacts. I walked up, introduced myself and had a wonderful talk with the general manager of the manufacturing facilities site. I could go on about the different people and companies I spoke with, both on a personal and professional level; Apple, Microsoft, Air Force, Phillips, and Boston Scientific. Some seemed promising while others had budget crisis, but all gave me something to think over when I left that room. Free stuff was a major bonus! I even divided it up among my roommates who were excited too. This was an excellent first job fair and I look forward to more in the coming years.

4 comments:

  1. jordan,
    sounds like a great experience and very well written. thanks for sharing that info.

    hey...you may want to invite griffin up for a weekend - he could take the train up to see you. i think that he is starting to think about college in a couple of years.
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to talk with you tonight son. thanks for calling.
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, what was the name of the company that donated $ to your senior project program? dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quality of Life Plus
    QL+ begins by identifying specific challenges faced by disabled community that are not adequately addressed by current reaserach or commercial markets. These challenges, submitted thorugh our website, are presented as projects to the faculty at cal poly who then assign to senior students... Read more at www.qlplus.org

    ReplyDelete