Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Life and Education - Or, How I was challenged this week to be a more conscientious person.

SCHOOL! The Last Frontier of Man-kind, or at least, "The place of perpetual tests, homework, grades, etc...
In this post I will show three examples which I personally have found to be very constructive in my own life. I will also attempt to draw out a conclusion and make observations of these three experiences.

In the first story, I am at a chemistry study session (CSS) in which we are trying to make sense of the professor's lecture. I had a wonderful time listening, learning, and laughing at my and other student's misunderstanding of the material. It was so reassuring hearing others' difficulties in the class, and while most of us did struggle in the first 5 weeks, I can personally say, I've come a long way since the quarter started.

In fact, my CSS Tutor spoke to me after class and asked me about my grades. I was shocked to realize that the people around me were actually watching out for ME, and cared about how I was doing! For the past 6-8 weeks I've been fighting so hard to get the help when I need it, I thought I was all alone. It was a blessing to have such concern and compassion given to me personally. It also might have helped that I gave him a cookie, but, that is probably beyond the point. :)



Secondly, our final welding lab took place today, in which I had the opportunity to finish my project. I created a beautiful architecture design, which I am very proud of, in fact, I was so delighted I could not stop looking at it and almost ran into people on my way home. I realized that my obsession over my own success was distracting me from my present situation. With this in mind, I looked up and found, to my amazement, a beautiful orchid tree. The rain had left tiny jewels glistening on the flower pedals which were in full bloom - It was perfect - I felt so happy! And yet, I was also convicted that my own self-centeredness almost kept me from seeing the world around me. I think this can apply to many aspects of life and should be a reminder of human character, that 'while art is beautiful; beauty is also a blindfold to the eyes of man'.


Finally, in visiting with Dr Mori San, my SOC350 prof, she emphasized a social problem whose roots reach into the core of the Japanese education system.
It is common knowledge that the Japanese will focus entirely on one thing until it's perfect. In her story she says that the boys, after entering their teenage years, are faced with challenging exams and high social expectations in preparation for their financial future. For this reason the pressure on youth to do well in school can and often does force young boys to spend most of their waking hours studying. While this may seem like an acceptable lifestyle for many, many graduate from college and enter into politics with no worldly or social experiences. The lack of knowledge concerning the minorities and their struggles gives the inexperienced leader no moral or ethical guidelines on which to base their decisions. In countless cases, thoughtless and emotionless bureaucrats have passed laws which hurt the environment, cause injustice and suffering, and even in some cases cause the death or genocide of minority groups.
She went on to say it is very difficult for a young boy to get a well rounded and complete understanding of the Japanese state without traveling and interacting with the lay people.

For me, I think on my own life and how I'm living in the present. While I do have a great social network and am enjoying learning, I have found that I often avoid initiating friendships. This might seem trivial but without the courage to sit at a table with strangers I find it difficult to make new friends. One example is that I was approached by a friend in the Road Biking Club and asked if I would like to live off campus with him and some other guys. I was dumbfounded as to why he would want to room with me, but thinking quickly, I realized that I neither wanted to accept nor refuse immediately, I needed time to think about such a big decision.
This interaction has taught me the value of being brave and not worrying about what others might say, should I behave in a stupid manner or in a way which they feel is wrong.

In Summary: (I'm sure some of you just skipped down to this part but that's okay, you'll still like this part.)


1) Be Brave.
2) Meet new People.
3) Interact with those around you more personally.
4) Be open to God working through other people and events which will change your life.
5) Did I forget something? Oh YEAH! GO BIKING!!! :)

2 comments: